8 Ways to Make Your Exfoliation Excellent
Is your skin looking a little dull? Well, that means it’s time to get rid of the debris and dead skin cells that are clinging onto the top of your skin for dear life!
Our bodies naturally experience cell turnover, and when we are young this process – where old surface skin cells die and are replaced with healthy cells lying just below – happens continuously. As we age, this process slows. Old cells take longer to slough off, creating a dry, rough appearance on the skin’s surface.
Along with slower cell turnover, we get added skin problems including blemishes, itchiness and uneven skin tone. Exfoliation, which is the manual process of removing dead skin cells and debris from the epidermis, is the answer to these issues.
Fortunately for you, Midwest DERMaesthetics is here to help, with eight terrific tips to enhance your exfoliation efforts and expose the glowing, more youthful looking skin that lies just under the older, dead skin cells that have yet to turn over.
1. Use the right exfoliation product. This means if you have acne-prone skin, choose a product containing glycolic or salicylic acid, which is essential for unclogging pore, keeping breakouts at bay and reducing oiliness. Gly/Sal pads containing both physician-grade ingredients are easy, daily use wipes (and you can purchase them from our website or at our office!)
Alternately, if you have sensitive or dry skin, take a more gentle approach so you don’t irritate skin or dry it out.
Pro Tip: to find the best product, see our Licensed Aesthetician Kimberly Niebur for a skin care consultation. She can help you choose a product that works best with your overall goals and skin type.
2. Don’t wax right after you exfoliate your skin. Exfoliation is the manual process of removing dead skin cells and debris from the epidermis. Right after you exfoliate it, skin is vulnerable. If you wax before the skin has healed properly, you could risk damaging the new skin that has been freshly revealed.
3. Protect your skin from the sun after exfoliation. While it’s important to wear sunscreen all year round, it’s even more important right after an exfoliation treatment. That’s because exfoliation makes your skin more susceptible to sun damage.
4. Don’t over exfoliate. If you exfoliate too often (especially if you have sensitive skin), you can cause irritation, dryness, and itchiness. Space out use of home care products and add treatments only as recommended by your aesthetician.
5-8. There’s more than one way to exfoliate well and 5-8 involve care from the expert providers at Midwest DERMaestethics. Read on for a few of our favorites:
HydraFacials combine exfoliation with deep pore cleansing, extraction, and hydration. The procedure power washes your skin’s surface with the help of patented Vortex Technology® that remove dead skin cells and infuse targeted booster serums into the skin.
Pro Tip: Looking for proof that exfoliation works? Have aesthetician Kimberly Niebur show you all of the “gunkies” she gets from your skin after your next HydraFacial!
Dermaplane is a simple and safe procedure that exfoliates the skin’s surface while ridding it of peach fuzz. It’s kind of like gently shaving the face with a sharp blade, except it does more than just remove unwanted hair. It also removes pesky dead skin cells and any other debris that could be clogging your pores. Choose Dermaplane to clear your skin surface before taking advantage of any of Midwest Dermatology’s laser and anti-aging treatments. Or combine a dermaplane with other spa services to add to your glow! And did we mention dermaplaning is safe for pregnant women and people with sensitive skin? No chemicals, no harsh ingredients, no red, irritated skin.
Pro Tip: Dermaplaning should NOT BE DONE AT HOME. The risks include painful cuts, scarring and infection. Instead, book an appointment with Kimberly Niebur, who is certified in the Dermaplane technique and proper antimicrobial disinfection.
Peels use chemical solutions to intentionally damage the dead, outer layers of the skin, causing them to gently slough or peel from the face. We offer a variety of peels with other anti-aging benefits, including our popular Pigment Balancing Peel.
Dermatologist-recommended exfoliating cleansers available at Midwest DERMaesthetics include:
- SkinCeuticals Micro-Exfoliating Scrub (it says it right in the name!)
- Elta MD Foaming Facial Cleanser
- SkinBetter Science Oxygen Infusion Wash
Experts agree that exfoliation is good for the skin, but only if done correctly. To schedule an exfoliating service, or to access personalized skin care recommendations, visit Midwest DERMaesthetics online at https://midwestderm.com/aesthetic-spa-services/. You can book an appointment, or shop for cleansers, retinoids, Gly/Sal pads and much more.