Midwest Dermatology offers “mini peels” with gentle chemical solutions, as well as deep chemical peels that penetrate deeper and make it possible to peel away more layers of skin.
Your Midwest Dermatology physician can assess your skin and discuss the result you’re trying to achieve, and help you choose from the following types of peels:
- Glycolic peel – This is the most gentle peel we offer. It uses a light alphahydroxy solution derived from fruit acids and results in a fresh, bright complexion.
- Jessner’s peel – This mini peel combines several gentle peel agents and goes a bit deeper than the glycolic peel.
- Salicylic peel – This peel uses betahydroxy acid, which is a derivative of aspirin. Salicylic peels are often used to treat pigmentation problems, especially for women suffering from melasma.
- Vitalize peel – This peel uses a combination of anti-aging and alphahydroxy agents to soften wrinkles and improve skin tone and texture.
- TCA and phenol peels – These peels are considered more traditional and involve stronger peel agents that remove more layers of damaged and discolored skin, and even acne scarring.
The glycolic, Jessner’s, salicylic and Vitalize peels all feature short recovery times. Patients can return to their normal routines right away and can expect that skin redness will go away in a day or two. TCA and phenol peel patients, on the other hand, should expect a longer recovery time. Skin will be red and sensitive for days, maybe even weeks, but ultimately the results can be dramatically positive.