Midwest Dermatology successfully diagnoses and treats all of these forms of acne. Our approach is to design a regimen, or treatment program, suited to the needs and situation of both teen acne and adult acne patients.
The most effective acne treatments our board-certified dermatologists prescribe include:
- Topical acne medications that are applied on top of the skin:
- Benzoyl peroxide creams and gels dry up excess oil in pores and fight bacteria on the skin’s surface.
- Antibiotics also dry the skin’s surface and fight bacteria.
- Retinol helps to loosen up blackheads and cause them to come to the skin’s surface.
- Differin is a derivative of Vitamin A that gently clears pores. This helps to clear up acne blemishes and prevent new breakouts.
- Oral acne medications, that are taken in pill form, by mouth:
- Antibiotics like decrease the bacteria caught in follicles.
- Isotretinoin, commonly known as Accutane and other trade names, is reserved for severe cases of acne. With a six-month course of treatment, this Vitamin A derivative can completely clear acne.
- Specialized acne therapies:
- Liquid nitrogen spray to reduce redness and swelling of acne cysts and to help open clogged pores.
- Intralesional steroid injections to help reduce the pain, inflammation and redness that accompanies cystic acne.
EXTRACTION AND DEEP PORE CLEANSE
At Midwest Dermatology, our board certified dermatologists routinely treat acne. Our approach is to design a regimen, or treatment program, suited to the needs and situation of both teen acne and adult acne patients. In addition to oral and topical medications, physicians recommend acne extraction done by a professional in the office – not an attempt to do it yourself at home.
Done by a trained dermatology aesthetician, acne extraction can be an effective procedure to heal pimples faster, reduce future breakouts, and minimize the development of acne scars.
What Types of Acne Can Be Treated Safely with Acne Extraction?
Extractions can be performed on comedones, commonly known as blackheads or whiteheads, that occur when hair follicles become clogged with oil and produce small bumps on the skin. They most often appear on the forehead, chin and nose, which is where oil glands on the face are located.
Your skin care specialist will perform extractions using a special metal instrument called a “comedone extractor” that presses down firmly on the skin to gently unclog the plug and remove any oil, bacteria or debris. For certain types of blemishes, a sterile blade may be used to break the skin before removing any debris or buildup from the area. Extractions may be performed using steaming techniques to open the pores of the skin.
Add a Deep Pore Cleanse
Add on to your extraction service with the works! Our licensed dermatology aesthetician will treat you to a deep cleanse, masque therapy, extraction and top it off with an acne safe, non-comedogenic moisturizer. Ideal for breakouts on the face or back.
What are the Benefits?
Customized to each skin type, the Deep Pore Cleanse Treatment improves breakouts, dehydration and texture with:
- Deep cleaning of the pores
- Making pores less visible
- Minimizing blemishes and acne
- Decreasing chance of future breakouts
- Improving overall skin health
Extractions are beneficial as a single treatment or as a series. Patients with acne or enlarged pores are best treated in a series to maintain clearer skin and maximize results. Treatments are typically recommended as a monthly regimen to improve the skin’s appearance and enhance the medical care you are receiving from your dermatologist.
*Acne Extraction and Deep Pore Cleanse are an added service of Midwest DERMaesthetics and are not covered by insurance.